Virender Sehwag, one of the most destructive batsman & former Indian team captain, the one who always take start of his game with a four or a six. He is an aggressive opening batsman & part time spinner & only Indian player to be awarded with wisden cricketer award. Virender Sehwag often called as Viru early life history, various records & achievements he got for his team will be discuss in this article.
Virender Sehwag Early life history:
The first portion of article will be related to early life history of Sehwag. He was born on 20 October, 1978 in the family of merchant. The childhood time was spent in the joint family. Sehwag was given with a bat when he was seven months old & that bat has been given the attribution by his family for his interest & success in cricket. Sehwag got early education at Arora Vidya school in Delhi & for his graduation, he joined Jamia Milia Islamia. Sehwag was selected in the North Zone cricket team for Duleep trophy in 1997-1998. With his good performance in domestic cricket, he was selected in U-19 team for the series against South Africa.
Sehwag cricket performance has been attributed to the bat which was given to him, when he was seven months old.
Sehwag International career start was not good as he was lbw by Shoaib Akhtar on 1 run in 1999. He did not perform well in bowling too & conceded 35 runs in 3 overs. After that Sehwag was not awarded another chance in team for about 20 months. In 2001, Sehwag scored 58 of 54 balls against Australia. He also got three wickets in that match & made Indian team victorious. He was awarded with man of the match award which is a big life achievement for him. In 2002 ICC champion trophy, Sehwag scored 271 runs with an average of about 90. He also got man of the match award for two times. Sehwag performance against South Africa was great. He scored 58 runs of 54 balls & took 3 wickets which helped India to won the match.
In 2003 ICC Cricket world cup, Sehwag scored 299 runs with an average of 27. In the final against Australia, he scored 82 runs but they lost that game by a big margin. Sehwag performance in the start of World cup 2007 was not good. He did not perform well in the first game but in the second match against Bermuda, he scored 114 runs of 87 balls. They had put a total of 413 in that match which is highest by any team in the world cup. India had won only that match in their world cup journey of 2007.
Sehwag scored fastest ODI hundred for India in 2009 for just 60 balls against New Zealand. He performed well to help India win their first series in New Zealand.
Sehwag became only Indian player to hit triple century in test cricket. He scored 309 runs against Pakistan in first test match which was held at Multan. That was sixth test century for Sehwag & big award & achievement. India managed to won that game by an inning & Sehwag was declared as Man of the Match. Sehwag was call as man of the series for his brilliant batting performance during that series. He has set the record of triple century. In 2005 Home series against Pakistan, Sehwag performed well & again got man of the series award. He scored 173 & 201 knocks which helped him to set 544 scores during that series with an average of 90.66. He also became the fastest Indian player to cross the mark of 3000 test runs.
Sehwag scored 219 runs of just 149 deliveries against West Indies on 8 December, 2011. That is another double hundred by any Indian batsman after Sachin Tendulkar knock of 200 runs.
Virender Sehwag Records, Achievements & Awards
Virender Sehwag is an aggressive opening batsman who always provide a very quick & fast start to his team. He mostly starts his game by a four or a six. He bring down the required run rate with minutes which help other players to tackle the situation easily. Here, we will enlist some of important life achievements, records, & awards which he made & got through out his career.
- Virender Sehwag is the only opening batsman in history who has crossed the milestone of 7500 runs in tests & ODI.
- He has got fastest triple century of just 278 balls.
- He struck second fastest ODI double hundred for which he took 140 balls only.
- He has got third highest individual score in ODI of 219 against West Indies.
- He has got second highest number of boundaries in test inning of 47. This shows his aggression in all formats of the game.
- He is also second highest number of fours hitter in ODI too with number of 25. His mostly start in inning is with a four.
- Sehwag has got record of scoring fastest 150,200,250,300 in Tests. That is a big record.
- Sehwag has got record of scoring fastest 150 & 200 in ODI.
- He has got most number of test hundreds with 6 in number.
- He is the only Indian batsman to score 1400+ test runs in a calendar year.
- He has got highest ever batting strike rate in Test & ODI.
- He has got 5 times player of the series award in Tests. This is the most number of the award got by any player.
- Sehwag is the only Indian player who has been awarded with Wisden Leading cricketer in the world award for two times.
Virender Sehwag Century in ODI Video
Virender sehwag has scored 15 centuries in ODI & the fastest century came against New Zealand where he scored 125 runs with a strike rate of 168.91.
Some Awards which he received for his best Performance
- Sehwag got Arjuna award in 2002.
- Sehwag was named as ICC Test player of the year 2010 for his excellent performance.
- Sehwag was awarded with Padma Shree award in 2010.
Sehwag was twice awarded with Wisden Leading cricketer in the world award.