MS Dhoni is the best Captain & regarded as one of the best finisher in any format of the game. The one who ranks No:1 in all times dismissals list for Indian cricket team is pronounced as Mahendra Singh Dhoni. His early cricket life history, his various achievements, awards, & records in all formats of the game will be discuss in this article.
MS Dhoni Life History
The first portion of article will be related to his Life history. Later on, we will discuss MS Dhoni awards & Achievements, which he got for his excellence performance throughout his career. Starting with the early life history of Mahendra Singh Dhoni, he was born in Ranchi. Dhoni has got great devotions for cricket from his childhood. From the very his childhood, he was a great fan of Sachin Tendulkar, Adam Gilchrist, & Amitabh Bachchan. MS took his early education DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali, Ranchi. He played his Ranji Trophy debut in 1999-2000 when he was eighteen years old. He scored 263 runs in 5 matches during that season. In 2003-2004 season, Dhoni scored a century against assam in the Ranji trophy tournament. His efforts in 2003-2004 season made him in Indian A cricket team for the series against Zimbabwe & Kenya. He had a great time with his wicket keeping skills during that series with 7 catches & 4 stumping. In a tri-nation match series including Pakistan & Kenya, MS helped Indian team to chase down the total of 223 against Pakistan.
He continued his good performance with two back to back centuries against Pakistan.
MS Dhoni was picked in the ODI squad for the series against Bangladesh in 2004-2005. He did not perform well during that series yet he was awarded another chance for the series against Pakistan. Dhoni played supert knock of 148 runs of just 123 balls which is a great life achievement in his cricket life history. Another great knock came against Sri-lanka where MS accelerated his batting & scored 183 of just 145 deliveries which resulted a great achievement & great victory for Indian team.
This series was very important for him as he was awarded with Man of the series award & B-grade contract too.
In the series against Pakistan in 2006, Dhoni scored 68 runs helping Indian team to setting up the total of 328 runs. Pakistan won that match by D/L system. In the 5th match, Dhoni scored 77 runs of just 46 balls which helped India to won the series by 4-1. Dhoni became the No:1 ODI batsman after his consistent batting performance. 2007 ODI world cup was not good for India as India was crashed out from the very first round after the lost against Sri-lanka & Bangladesh. MS did not performance well during this World cup & just scored 29 runs in 3 matches out of which 2 matches resulted in duck for him. MS was named as the Vice Captain for the series against South Africa, England, & Ireland.
MS Performance in ICC T20 2007 World Cup:
MS was selected as the captain for the ICC world cup 2007. India beat Pakistan in final in the world cup final to name the title. He became the second Indian captain to name the title. That was a great achievement for him.
ICC ODI World Cup 2011
Under the captaincy of MS, India won 2011 ODI world cup. The final was between India & Sri-lanka where Sri-lanka managed to put a good total on the board with an brilliant performance of Mahela. India did not manage to get a good start as Virender Sehwag was lbw earlier by Lasith Malinga. MS has promoted himself earlier in the batting line. When he came to bat, Indian team was in crucial stage & required more than six runs per over rate. MS played a knock of 91 runs of just 79 balls that helped India not only to accelerate the chase but also to name the title. MS continued the trend of finishing the game in his style of hitting a big six out of the boundary lines. This is the thing which make him best finisher of ODI game. Getting the ODI world cup title is the best life achievement for MS Dhoni in his entire life history.
India lost to Australia in 2015 World Cup semi final. Under the captaincy of MS, India had won consecutive 7 matches in that world cup.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni Marriage
Mahendra Singh Dhoni was married to Sakshi Singh Rawat. She was MS schoolmate. She was studying Hotel Management & was working as an trainee at the time of her Marriage.
MS Dhoni International Captaincy Records, Titles, & Achievements
Although MS has got a long list of achievements & records which include both of his captaincy & without captaincy achievements, we will try to cover major achievements below.
- Dhoni had struck the fastest century by any Indian wicket keeper in test against Pakistan while playing in Faisalabad.
- He has got record for holding most catches by any Indian in a match.
- MS has got record for most dismissals by any wicket keeper in test matches.
- MS scored 183 of just 145 balls against Sri-lanka which is the highest score by any batsman in the second inning. Later on, this record was broken down Shane Watson who scored 185 of 96 balls against Bangladesh.
- MS has got fourth highest batting average. He is really a clean striker of the ball.
- MS is the only captain who has scored a century while batting at number 7.
- MS has scored 6 test centuries. The best thing about him is the best finishing the game.
- He is the first Indian wicket keeper batsman, who has got 4000 test runs.
- He has got 8 ODI centuries. The first one came was against Pakistan in 2005 which helped India to won the game.
- Dhoni has got great achievement of getting 6 times man of the series award.
MS Dhoni Awards List As an Captain
For his excellence performance, Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been awarded with several honorary awards & appreciations, which are elaborated below.
- For MS excellence performance in One Day format of the game, he was called as ICC ODI player of the year 2008-2009.
- MS has been included into the ICC World ODI XI from 2008 to 2014. It is a great award & achievement for him that he managed to place himself with the top players of the world. The key thing here is not that MS was included in ODI XI but was that he remained consistent throughout his career & always presented a mature game.
- Just like ODI, MS was part of ICC Test XI teams for 2009, 2010, & 2013.
- MS has been liked by millions of fans. In 2013, he was awarded with LG people choice award.
- For his best performance in 2007-2008 where he had also won the T20 world cup for India, MS was awarded with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna which is the Indian highest honor award.
- MS has a life achievement of getting the honorary doctorate degree in August 2011 from De Montfort University.
- He has got two times man of the match award in Tests. In both cases, India won the game.
- MS has six times got Man of the series award in ODI cricket. First time, he achieved this accomplishment was in 2007 against Bangladesh, where he scored 127 runs in 2 matches. Indian managed to won that series by 2-0.
- In 2013, Mahendra Singh Dhoni was awarded with Man of the Series award for his excellence performance against Sri-lanka. He scored 346 runs in 7 matches series which also include a hundred. With this fantastic performance from MS, India won that game by 6-1.
- MS Dhoni remained too best in ODI format of the game. He helped his team to win numerous games in many crucial situation. He has got 20 times Man of the Match award. First time, he got this achievement was in 2005 against Pakistan, where he scored 148 runs of just 123 balls to help India win the series by 58 runs.
- Out of all games in which Ms remained Man of the Match, one time India had lost the game. That happened in 2012 in a match against Pakistan where he scored 113 runs of 125 balls. Pakistan had won that game by 6 wickets.